Preparation time: 1h30min
Meat Seasoning Ingredients:
1kg beef chucks or topside cuts
1 Tablespoon Moroccan aged butter
2 Teaspoon salt
8 Threads of saffron
1 Teaspoon curcumas
1 Teaspoon black pepper
½ Teaspoon ginger
1 Teaspoon cinnamon
1 Teaspoon of allspice
1 Large onion chopped
½ cup parsley chopped thin
6 garlic cloves chopped
4 Tablespoon Argan oil ( or olive oil)
1 Cup of water
Dried Fruits seasoning Ingredients:
200g dried prunes
200g dried apricots
50g brown sugar + 50g.
3 cups of water for the prunes +3 cups for the apricots
3 Tablespoon orange blossom water + 3Tablespoon ( optional)
1Teaspoon Moroccan aged butter + 1Teaspoon ( or regular butter)
½ Teaspoon cinnamon + ½ Teaspoon
100g blanched almonds
½ cup frying oil
40g of sesame seeds
1. Preheat the tagine on low heat for 20 minutes. Add 4 tablespoons of argan oil and allow it to heat for 4 minutes. Increase the heat to medium. Place the meat in the oil and cook it for 3 minutes on each side to seal the juice in. Add all the spices and 1 Teaspoon of the Moroccan aged butter. Flip the pieces of meat to make sure both sides are spiced. Add the onion, garlic and parsley. Simmer uncovered for 5 minutes.
2. Add one cup of water. Cover and cook on a low-medium heat for 45 -55 minutes, checking on it regularly.
3. Place the dried prunes in a saucepan. Add 3 cups of water, brown sugar, orange blossom water, 1Teaspoon Moroccan aged butter and a ½ Teaspoon cinnamon. Cook on medium heat for 15 to 20 minutes. The cooking time depends on the type of prunes used. As soon as the prunes have “puffed-up” and the broth has thickened, take them off the heat. Do not drain.
4. Repeat step 3 using the dried apricots.
5. Stick a fork in one or two pieces of meat. If it is tender and the fork comes out easily, the meat is ready.
6. Once the meat is cooked, spoon the prunes & apricots and place them on top of the meat. Then measure a ½ cup of the prune broth and add it to the Tagine. Cover and cook for another 5 minutes.
7. Refer to “How To” pages on MoroccanFoodLovers.com for instructions on how to blanch and fry almonds.
8. Heat a heavy metal pan. Throw in the sesame seeds and roast for 3-4 minutes, stirring continually.
9. Take the Tagine off the heat and place it on cast iron trivet or a couple of folded kitchen towers. Do not place your Tagine directly on your kitchen counter, as it will crack. The heat of the Tagine can crack your natural stone kitchen counter as well.
10. Garnish with the fried almonds and sesame seeds over the meat and prunes. Place the Tagine lid on the Tagine and serve immediately.